I decided to try my hand at cake decorating once again. This is the first time I’ve attempted to make roses. It was quite challenging because I didn’t have the ingredients to make a firm enough icing but it worked out in the end. (I made it all, including the cake, from scratch). It’s chocolate cake with strawberry filling, chocolate buttercream icing, and vanilla buttercream roses. 🙂
I decided to frame my portraits (see previous posts) to put in an art show. These three portraits are all copic drawings I did over the summer after buying a pack of markers specifically for colouring skin. Since the frame had 3 slots and the first of the portraits I did didn’t match the rest, I had to draw a third portrait to match. I made her wear yellow since the first two were red and blue (primary colours). She didn’t take as long to draw as the first two (she took me about 1-2 hours to complete). If I had more time I would have done a different one for the middle blue portrait since it is much smaller than the other two. However, I really liked that portrait so I kept it in.
I think my portraits turned out well and I’m excited to see if they will be accepted into the art show.
Here is my artist statement:
I started this series of portraits over the summer to improve my portraiture using alcohol-based markers. The very first portrait I completed I did not display since I used ink pens to outline the portrait. I drew the red portrait after that and while I was drawing it I bought a set of skin tone pigment markers so I could create shape without having to use pen. This portrait is of my cousin; a subject matter I draw and paint frequently. The second portrait I drew was the blue portrait. This was my first time experimenting with different skin tones since I now had the colours to do so. This portrait took me the longest to complete but I think it is my most successful portrait. The third portrait I drew was the yellow portrait. For this portrait I continued to experiment to create different skin tones and create shape. This portrait took the shortest amount of time to complete but it is also one I am proud of.
I bought some more markers halfway through completing this one so I was able to get a lot more contrast in the face than I could with the previous one. I think what I need to work on now is getting more contrast/definition in the hair. I’m really happy with how this turned out because it looks way more realistic than the previous one. I’m going to continue working on portraits with alcohol-based markers since I now have the colours to create pieces with more depth.
This is my first finished piece of the summer. It took me about an hour to complete. I focused mainly on developing the face rather than the whole image to leave the face as the focal point. For this I also decided to use a pen for outlines/details instead of a darker colour but I’m unsure if I will do this for my next one (I’m doing another portrait like this). I’m happy with how this turned out.
It’s my cousin’s 6th birthday so I decorated a birthday cake for her. She wanted it to be pink and blue so I used those colours to create some sort of dress for the Barbie doll. I had troubles with icing being either too thick or too runny but I feel I was successful in creating it. I baked and decorated the cake myself and it took me several hours.