This piece took me about a week of staring and wondering what I needed to add/fix to finally finish it today. With my new markers I actually have the ability to draw people with a variety of skin tones so this was a fun challenge to undergo. I feel this piece was successful despite taking forever.
I bought some more markers halfway through completing this one so I was able to get a lot more contrast in the face than I could with the previous one. I think what I need to work on now is getting more contrast/definition in the hair. I’m really happy with how this turned out because it looks way more realistic than the previous one. I’m going to continue working on portraits with alcohol-based markers since I now have the colours to create pieces with more depth.
This is my first finished piece of the summer. It took me about an hour to complete. I focused mainly on developing the face rather than the whole image to leave the face as the focal point. For this I also decided to use a pen for outlines/details instead of a darker colour but I’m unsure if I will do this for my next one (I’m doing another portrait like this). I’m happy with how this turned out.
Recently I’ve been bullet journaling (if you don’t know what a bullet journal is, it’s basically an artsier journal and it’s gotten very popular lately) but I’ve just got a new journal and decided to make this one prettier so it’s blog worthy. This is the first month I have in here and it’s space themed. If it all works out, I will be posting monthly with the next months pages.
These are some of my favourite prints from today. For my final project I need to pick 10 of my favourite prints and so far I have a solid black, the black and white one at the very top, the bottom gold one, (possibly) the grey and black one, and (possibly) the red, white, and black one. I really liked the effect of the white on top of the black. For next class I am going to print overtop of the red background one with either black or white. I also have prepared several grey backgrounds for next class to print in black over. I have several gold ones as well that didn’t turn out as well that I plan to print over. My favourite so far is the first black and white dog. I’m insanely happy about how well the spots turned out on the stamp and I love how crisp the lines are on this print.
I’ve been thinking a lot about what my study will be for grade 12 art and (so far) I’ve decided on fairytales (and playing off this idea by showing darker elements, using irony, focusing on lesser known ones, or applying it to real life etc) so I decided to do a couple small (about the size of a business card), quick copic and pen sketches of some characters from fairytale books I used to read as a kid. For these sketches I focused on the idea of lesser known fairytales.
The first sketch is based on the book “Penny Tunes and the Princess.” This character is the “princess” in the story (she’s really a fortune teller who is called princess or something) hence the reason I call this piece “Not Your Average Princess.” I really enjoyed doing the bold pattern on her head scarf.
The second sketch is based on the book “Five Peas in a Pod” from an old book of fairytales I enjoyed as a kid. I call this one “Not Jack” because normally when you think of a fairytale involving a child and legumes you would think of Jack and the Bean Stalk but instead this is a story of a sick girl who had a pea shot at her house by a boy and regains her strength as she begins to care for the pea which has grown into a plant. This was one of my favourite stories and I really loved the artwork too so it was fun to do my own version of it.
I decided to skip embossing; I was originally planning to emboss and printmake, but due to a lack of time I am only doing printmaking now. I’ve started my first few basic prints that I can leave or print on top of and as well I printed a few basic backgrounds to print on top of next class.
After printing I realized some of my negative space wasn’t cut deep enough so I am going to go back in and cut it deeper to avoid to many lines between the bars.
I was planning to print with a bit of a colour scheme (colours that would normally be associated with a Dalmatian like black white and red or just darker tones) but I’m thinking I may try out more colours next class. Also for next class I’m going to try double printing on some of these prints but I’ll keep at least one basic black print (whatever one turns out best).
I’m really happy with how these prints look and I’m excited to do more of them next class.
I’m done carving (at least until I do my first print and see how it turns out). I really love my design and detail but I’m worried that it may not show up. I should have my first few prints completed in the next few days though and will post them as I make them. I’ve tried breaking up the solid wall at the bottom and I think this is something I will continue to work on as I print.
I’ve finished my post-secret inspired collage. Since last post I added the rest of the clocks on the body, used gloss medium and black paint over the body, and added the text. When I first finished adding the clocks I was not happy with how it turned out so I used the black paint to tie the images together but that turned out pretty streaky. I decided there was nothing I could really do so I went ahead and added the text and I think that really helped add more value and draw attention away from the body.
This piece was inspired by other post secrets I saw that were about people’s fears. I decided to choose a reoccurring nightmare as inspiration for my project. I used the galaxy/star print in the back to represent night and the fact it is a dream. I used the clocks to construct a figure to show the significance of time.
Overall, I’m happy with how this turned out.